Thursday, 26 February 2015

Harry Clarke

These book illustrations are so beautiful! They're all from an Edgar Allen Poe book called Tales of Mystery and Imagination published in 1923, they're so intricate I could look at them for days. I love the halo around the woman in the first image, it reminds me of my tattoo and doodles I often make that are sort of mandala-esque (before I even knew what a mandala was I've been drawing them though). This could also be a way that I frame my portraits because it still gives them some kind of power, but rather than the wealth that an Edwardian portrait suggests this seems like more of a spiritual or magical power. I've done a couple of quick sketches trying to work more with lines and I'm surprised with how much I like them, hopefully next week I can go into the printing studio and etch them.


No comments: